Monday, November 21, 2011

Sunday, November 6, 2011



This afternoon I went to the YMCA to do some laps, but we first had to stop so I could find some ear plugs. I really didn’t know that choosing ear plugs could be so hard!

Did you know that there are different types, depending what you need them for? 

There are reusable ones and disposal ones. Musicians use them and so do construction workers. Swimmers use them but divers shouldn’t. Ear plugs are also used by travelers to combat cabin pressure,  some people use them to help them sleep (snoring) and some use them to keep wind out of their ears.

So 25 minutes later, I had my earplugs selected and off to the Y I went to do laps.  Swimming is good exercise (that's obvious). Swimming is a lifetime sport that benefits the body and the whole person.  It works practically all of the muscles in the body (if you do a variety of strokes) and it can develop a swimmer's general strength, cardiovascular fitness and endurance. 

Here's a chart I found on the web (http://www.memory4teachers.co.uk/channels/presentations/The_ASA/NationalPlan.html), although they DO NOT mention what it does to your hair! lol (thought that i would add this)

Did you know that swimming burns calories at a rate of about 3 calories a mile per pound of bodyweight? 

Anyways, I like it cause I don't try to be the swimmer – I kinda like to think about it as letting the swimmer be me.  I've always loved the water so it just makes sense for me to swim. And it's not rocket science on how to do it.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know about the earplugs either!

    Continue with your physical activities - I know you get bored at times and need a change. Don't worry about having to do the same thing - you don't want these activities to become chores that make you more anxious.

    Enjoy the opportunity that you have .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's nice to get feedback!

    ReplyDelete