Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Monday, August 8, 2011


Ok, so I read about the intensity component of my exercise program and it is only now that the course describes that it is important to be exercising at the right level. Well, HAHAHAHAH!  I’ve already been doing that since early July because I am tracking my Target Hear Rate. It’s not that hard to calculate, its actually simple math.

·         Normal Resting Heart Rate ~ between 50-90 beats per minute (bpm). Because of differences in our teen bodies and our physiology, my resting heart rate range is greater than for other age groups.
  • Maximum Heart Rate ~ about 200-205 bpm. To calculate my maximum heart rate in bpm, I used the formula  220 – age = 206.
  • Target Heart Rate for:
    • Fat loss workout, I must work at between 50%-70% of my maximum heart rate, or 103-144 bpm.
·         Cardio workout, I need to be between 70%-85% of my maximum heart rate, or 144-175 bpm.

So anyways, I got on the treadmill, thinking about this intensity stuff, wondering if I could really sing at the same time!  Not that I would do it in front of all the guys at the gym – I’m not that adventurous.  SO, I got my Target Rate up to … I’d rather not say. Let’s just say that I should have been singing!

So what this means is that I need to increase my intensity (or stop singing!)

In the meantime, check out these 4 guys on 8 treadmills (Music video by OK Go performing Here It Goes Again (The Treadmill Video).) - wonder what their intensity is at? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTAAsCNK7RA&ob=av2e

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kim ~
    I chuckled when I read your post --- aren't you glad we talked about the resting and target heart rates at the beginning of your course?
    I see you've made friends with the treadmill too. I know you like going to the Y as you are such a social butterfly and will talk to anyone, so I can see how you fit right in with the people there. Enjoy and continue with your entertaining and informative posts!

    ReplyDelete