Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thursday, July 14, 2011


This morning I met with Brian, a YMCA staff member to introduce me to a fitness plan in the conditioning room.  We spent about 75-minutes together where we discussed my goals in conjunction with my age. 

I actually had a great workout!  

Did you know that women have less testosterone than men, which is a principle hormone in muscle growth?  So for those of you wanting to increase your metabolism (both men and women) here's a GREAT TIP:   strength training can boost your metabolism so you’ll burn fat faster than other forms of exercise.

What did I learn today?   

Start Lighter Than You Can Lift – Using the proper form is crucial to getting results. So, when starting out, you want to get used to using proper form, so lifting your maximum might have you picking up bad habits. 

For example, I can easily start off lifting 10 lbs in an arm curl.  BUT....

... (suggestion) ... do your first set with 5 lbs to practice the motion.  You can move up after this practice set to avoid future injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment