Monday, October 3, 2011

Saturday, September 17, 2011


Today I finished working on a paper on conflict. It had to do with values and how people might want different things. Sometimes the differences make us clash with each other.  The text for my course says, “It isn’t possible for both of our desires to be met. Our wants are incompatible. In a case like this, unless one of us simply gives in (which isn’t necessarily the best solution anyway- see why later), we have what is called a conflict. Two or more parties have incompatible goals, and therefore, in trying to reach their goals, they also try to prevent each other from reaching theirs.

My paper dealt with Joseph Frederick’s Bong Hits 4 Jesus display during the Olympic Torch relay through Juneau, Alaska in January, 2002. What he did was reveal a banner that caused conflict and resulted in his case going all the way to the US Supreme Court. It was dealing with the right to free speech. Quite interesting.

Anyways, I found it neat because I was in Juneau in August and was on the street where he was so it felt kinda neat to be able to write about it!

I’ll let you know my mark!

Today’s workout was wet and awful – I went to the pool to do laps and the swimming lessons were not over yet, so I had to avoid the lanes with all the little kids.  I was hoping that none of them would spring a leak, if you know what I mean. Lol     

So I got 24 minutes of lap time in before one of them sprang a leak and they had to close the pool… ugh!  Gross…..

No comments:

Post a Comment